Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Travels to the frozen North

The trek to Coeur D'Alene Idaho is not for the light-hearted, especially if you take the path through Meridian to see the new temple!  It is quite a beautiful drive, however, and a wonderful experience if you travel with the right people.

I traveled with my long-time friend, Jesse, and we had a riot!

Stopping in Meridian for the temple open house was definitely a highlight of the trip.  Although quite far off the highway it was a beautiful sight, and one I'm gkad we took.  The patrons there were very gracious, and allowed us to view the whole place, inside and out.  The detail they put into it is exquisite, and the spirit there is evident.  Beautiful portraits and pictures abound, and the landscaping is incredible.

One unexpected, but delicious meal was had at the KFC/A&W.  While it goes against my grain to eat fast-food that I can get anywhere, it was tasty and satisfying, and did not cost me an arm and a leg to obtain.  Plus, it was conveniently located next to the freeway, making our hasty exit timely, as we were far behind schedule.

Tubbs Hill, Mcewan Park

Burgers and pie was for lunch on Saturday, and has done it for over one hundred years, so I let them supply it for me.  They have a very limited menu, but that pleased my indecisive nature, making it easy to find what I wanted.  There were 3 flavors of pie, and three of us, so we got one of each flavor, and shared between the lot of us.  That was an excellent decision.  The Strawberry Rhubarb was probably my favorite, but the French Silk and Coconut Cream were lovely as well!

I met some other friends, Alex and Alli at The Republic, a nice little hole-in-the-wall joint in CDA for dinner, and found some extremely good fare awaiting me.  I chose to eat the Montechristo, a sandwhich on Sourdough bread that contains bacon and cheese, that is then fried, and covered with a fried egg.  At the point you cut off a piece, you dip it in homemade raspberry jam, and shove it in your face before the exquisite smell knocks you out!

No comments: