Sunday, February 1, 2009

My analogy

When I was home for MLK day a few weeks ago, I heard an analogy that I have taken and expanded for personal use. I think it is appropriate for the stage I am in right now in my life. The speaker compared a mission to a tall mountain that you are about to climb, and I compare it to the hike of Y mount I took on my birthday. (My continuation starts here) I feel like I am staring up at the top of that mountain, and thinking, "Oh crap! It seems so daunting and even treacherous right now. I am very excited to begin my "climb", but I feel insignificant at this moment. In beggining the hike, it was hard work. There were people there, but I had to and have to do it mostly by myself. There was snow on it, which made it that much more difficult. I compare the switchbacks to the points in my mission( i.e. 6 months, 1 year). Then I'll reach the end of the hike( or mission) and look how far I've come, how much good I've done, and hopefully know that I've done the very best I could. Every slip ( trouble with companions, getting up on tmie, the language) I experience on my way will be worth it. Then comes the fun and easy part of the trip. I'll get married in the temple and start my descent. all I've got to do now is stay on the straight and narrow, and slide down
( or up) into the celestial Kingdom, and enjoy life. I know it won't be easy, just like I slipped a couple of times on the way down, I will probably make several mistakes. I've just got to try my absolute best to "keep my balance" and Jesus it will Christ will help me "dry off" from the times I cannot or do not. I know I can make this time the best experience I've had in my life thus far, although I'm beggining to realize how much work it's actually going to be. Things have always come relatively easy for me in my life(i.e. sports, school, making friends, etc.) but I know this is going to take some time to get used to( No sleeping in, a set schedule everyday, being in a completely new surrounding) This, however, is what excites me most as well. I absolutely love to get out of my comfort zone and try things I have never done before. It will go by really fast too, so I think I'm going to have to pay attention, and really take it all in (enjoy the beautiful view from the top).

1 comment:

Don and Becky Larson said...

Looking forward to hearing about your mission call. You are a hero.