Saturday, September 13, 2014

Engaged (In more than just a good cause)!

Today (Sept. 13, 2014) I Proposed marriage to my best friend, and she accepted!  I cannot express how excited I am to say I am marrying this amazing woman, and that I will be able to live forever with her after we are sealed in the temple!  So that I will not forget any of the details, I'm going to type it up, right here.

I suppose this calls for some back story.  In July, we got to talking about rings somehow (after 3 1/2 months of dating), and she told me that it would be a good thing if I had a ring right then.  I got to work on it, got everything in place, and asked her dad if I could marry his daughter (to which he replied: "I think that's up to her!", and which I took as a resounding "yes!).  He ended up telling Becca that I'd asked and she got freaked out, and in August told me she didn't think she could say yes if I asked.  She told me she wanted us to be best friends before we got that serious (which, I thought, we had achieved), and that I should therefore not ask for awhile.  This was an untimely change of events for me, as the ring was on its way, and I was almost ready to ask!  Then, two days ago, she revealed that her concerns were gone, and that she was ready.  I was again surprised, but was not going to argue about it, or let it cause me  to  make any rash decisions.
I did not know I was going to propose to Rebecca Marie Stewart (B) today.  In fact, I didn't think I'd do it for at least another month, though I'd had the ring for two weeks (this was to my advantage, though, because she didn't expect it either). I did think it would be fairly soon, though, so I gave Lori (Rebecca's Sister-a photographer) a call and asked her when she might be available to take some subterfuge pictures for me when I decided to proceed.  I scheduled it for the next day (Saturday) because I reasoned that if she (Becca)was ready now, and Lori was avaiable, I should go for it, before she changed her mind.  Lori called back later, and asked if she we could do it today instead, since another family wanted her to take their pictures.  After some thought, I decided to go for it, though I'd have to get it all ready in an hour and a half!

So I got showered in approximately 2.5 minutes, and ran out the door to do the errands I had to perform to make the moment right (e.g. getting a rose, sparkling Cider, wine glasses, and food from "The Little Brick House-Becca's favorite restaurant).   I then hurried over to Lori's house to go out to the location, after borrowing a table and chairs (and candles) from her.  We set up the furniture and accoutrements in a gorgeous little spot up Cedar Canyon, set Lori up, then took off so I could pick up my woman.

As we drove up the canyon, she reminded me how expensive dinner was at the steakhouses up here, not realizing I had the food in a cooler in the back.   Upon arriving there, she caught her breath as she stared in awe at the perfectly set table, still not expecting anything, because "he doesn't have the ring yet"! Eating dinner, she revealed that when I had told her I was taking her out to eat, and to dress "fancy" (a good move on my part, since she wouldn't have done anything to make her look really great, as she had not been feeling well that day), she had hoped I would take her to Little Brick House and get her THE EXACT SANDWHICH i HAD RETRIEVED FOR HER! Perfection! Finishing dinner, I began fishing around in my pocket for the ring box, and she suspected me for a moment, but then thought again, "He doesn't have the ring yet"!  I got down on one knee and asked her to marry me.  "Are you joking"?! She asked.  Noting the serious look on my face, she rethought her previous comment, and took some time to think.  After a few seconds: "yes"!  Elated, I got up, and hugged and kissed her.  "Come on down, Lori"! I shouted.  Becca got a huge smile on her face as she realized that all the clicking she had heard was coming from her sister Lori's, camera.  After a few more pictures, we headed back into town for Lori to take care of another family member's pictures, and to bathe in the glory of the knowledge that I will be getting married in the next few months!




No comments: